Monday, October 13, 2008

"Reclining Pear"

 
 
 
5" x 7" oil on gessoed panel
 
Sorry for the posting hiatus. I have built up a little bit of a backlog (which is a good thing), so here is the first painting on my newly constructed setup, painted last week.
 
I've had a mind to try painting pears for a while, but the offerings at the grocery store were ugly or bruised, until last week. One of these days I'm going to be admonished by store staff for manhandling fruit, as I like to pick and poke through produce in search of artistically interesting examples. This is the second painting I did of this particular pear, which was the only one in the pile with a leafy stem. I didn't much like the first one, but this one is acceptable.
 
Sadly, this painting also marks the death of my second Escoda sable detailing brush. They start out so lovely and satisfying to use, but it seems like small sables can't survive the daily oil painting routine for long. I was not ready to make another internet re-supply order, but a small touch-up brush is something I consider a necessity, so I made a quick hop down to the local art $upply $tore and picked up a Princeton 4000R size 0. So far, it shows no signs of unhappiness with its duties. I'm turning into a fan of Princeton brushes.

No comments: