Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"The Chrome Bear" - SOLD

 
 
 
6" x 8" oil on archival canvas panel
 
Yes, it's a chrome-plated polar bear. Every so often, in one of America's numberless stores full of kitschy Chinese junk, I'll find something so strange that I have to have it. Such was the case with this chrome Christmas bear. It's like a hood ornament from Santa's vintage roadster. I have no idea what I'm intended to do with it, but it was half-price, and since it is the patriotic duty of all freedom-loving Americans to buy stuff when it's on sale, it came home with me.
 
The berries are from a small tree outside my apartment building. I don't know what kind of tree it is, but it has borne lovely little red berries for weeks now, despite two cold snaps and a rapidly fading fall season.

1 comment:

Alice Thompson said...

I do like very much what you've done in this. Very clever your arrangement and colors giving us a wintry story. Nice swooping composition too. Don't worry about the tag this time. It's bound to happen to you again in the near future.