Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"The Lady of Plum Wine" - SOLD

 
 
 
5" x 7" oil on archival linen panel
 
Another one on Raphael panel, and I think I'm getting marginally better at this "keeping it loose" thing... Marginally. I've started using only three brushes - a very large (1") angular bright, a 1/4" flat, and my Escoda rigger. The big angular bright is a little awkward to start with on such a small surface, but it keeps me focused on quickly building up mass. I use the flat brush for cleanup & trimming, then the little Escoda is used for touch up, enhancements, and edge control. This all sounds very methodical, and I am a methodical kind of guy, but the actual process, of course, is not so cut and dry.
 
I'm really enjoying painting plums, so I may stay on this theme for a while longer. The cup is from a small sake set brought back from Japan by the roommate's uncle, and the bottle is Fu-Ki plum wine... It's like liquid candy. I think of it as sort of like Japanese Manischewitz. If it wasn't so devastating to my digestive health, I wouldn't be able to keep my nose out of the stuff.

No comments: