Friday, September 26, 2008

"Coconut & Lime On Gold" - SOLD

 
 
6" x 6" oil on gessoed panel
 
This one's a bit of an experiment, pushing fast & loose again, over a black background a la the amazing Karen Jurick. I stuck almost entirely with earth tones - Raw and Burnt Umbers, Burnt Sienna, and Yellow Ochre, cut with black or white, and a bit of Cad Yellow and Cad Scarlet here and there. The setting is a shiny cloth thrown over a pillow.
 
I will be out of town for a weekend at an East Texas lake campground, and will hopefully have some good landscape work to post on Monday. It'll be great to get out of the beige box for a day or two and have some outdoor subjects to sketch and paint.
 
Travelling around Texas by car can be artistically frustrating. What North Texas lacks in expressive topography, it makes up for with lighting and atmospheric subtletly. Add in the random trees and cow herds, and on a drive out of the city I usually end up seeing so much I want to put on paper, that I could spend an entire drive with my head down in the sketchbook, finishing one quick sketch, looking up, seeing something new, and going right back into it, until I'm mentally and physically tired. Is there a medical term for this? "Sketchbook Whiplash", maybe?

3 comments:

Sylvia Jenstad said...

Had to stop... love your colours... and your background... really cool

Alice Thompson said...

Aloha Terry, I saw your work listed on Ebay. This is very nice.
It has that island feel!

Terry Daniels said...

Thank you both!

The lady roommate noticed that my first work to sell was a lime with a coconut, so I thought I would try that theme again, but with a looser style. I still have some coconuts, I might take another shot at them after the weekend!