Sunday, September 14, 2008

"Prosperity Plums" - SOLD

 
 
SOLD!
 
5" x 7" oil on archival linen panel
 
While preparing for Friday's painting, it occurred to me that plums are a sort of prosperity symbol. We refer to choice jobs or desirable assignments as "plums", for example. Years ago, just prior to art school graduation, a classmate gave me a small wooden teapot, which he explained to be a symbol of prosperity in Chinese culture. I liked the idea of a symbolic connection between a plum and a teapot. I couldn't find the actual wooden miniature that my classmate gave me (although I can swear I brought it down to TX with me when I moved back here again?), so I settled for one of the roommate's curio items.
 
I'm staying the fast & loose course here, this time on a newly purchase linen panel. The Raphael-brand panels cost 3x as much as Ampersand Gessobord, but I find that they give back a canvas-like feel on a more solid support, without being too rough.

No comments: