Tuesday, December 9, 2008

"Sugar Cookie Stack"

 
 
 
6" x 6" oil on gessoed panel
 
I've always liked the appearance of these kinds of cookies. The lady of the house brought some home from her office Christmas party, and suggested I paint them. This is the second time I've had a subject like this, and I've found that cookies with sugar on them are a surprising challenge to paint.
 
Thanks to everybody who stopped by the table to chat at the show on Saturday! Unfortunately there were no reindeer to sketch - for that matter, I didn't have a chance to crack the sketchbook, with all the crowds. I've had some technical issues here today, my computer picked up a virus last night somewhere and I ended up spending all day tracking it down and killing it, but tomorrow I plan on introducing a direct sale page for the paintings I had at the show, among others. Stand by.

2 comments:

Mona Diane Conner said...

I love how you handled these. They remind me so much of the cookies my grandmother made every Christmas for her 'cookie tree', a table-top tree decorated entirely with these cookies.

Terry Daniels said...

Thanks! It's a bit of a trick doing fine crystalline detail with the synthetic brushes I use now. My sable Escodas were great for that sort of thing, but they kept dying on me.

The cookies are store-bought and smell strongly of vanilla. I'm pretty sure they're not a new thing, since I remember cookies like this from holiday time as far back as elementary school. I've never been a fan of plain-style stuff, but red and green dyed sugar is a visually arresting substance. ;)